Blog Counter

Northern Nevada Conservative: Now That It's Over, the Gloves are Off

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Now That It's Over, the Gloves are Off

I have refrained from expressing much of my dissapointment with the GOP until now because I help hope that they may pull it out. Many people seem to think the solution for my frustration with the GOP was to vote for democrats. The problem I have with that, is I dislike many Republicans because half the time (or more) they act like liberals. So putting a democrat in office would not solve my problem.

Looking for someone to blame for the national failure of the GOP yesterday? Start with Rumsfeld. Those who are close to me have been hearing me say for some time now that Rumsfeld needs to go. Next person to blame? The President. It really has nothing to do with whether or not Rumsfeld is doing a good job. In politics, perception is reality. Americans want change in Iraq and we have known that for some time now. There really does not seem to be a major change we can make in Iraq to turn things around. The GOP should have turned to perception, and they didn't. In politics, especially at a high level, you must understand going in that you may be asked to fall on the sword. Enter Donald Rumsfeld.

Rumsfeld should have recognized his opportunity to fall on the sword and he should have stepped down. It would have given the American people the perception of taking a new direction in Iraq. If he stepped down two weeks ago, this is a much different election. I don't have my crystal ball to say the GOP would have held congress, but it would have been much different.

If Rumsfeld was unwilling to step down, the President shoud have offered some encouragement.

This situation has nothing to do with right or wrong and it has everything to do with the good of the party and the American people.

4 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perception versus rightness? OMG. That's what's wrong with our current electoral situation. We're not a "stick to it and get it done" culture anymore.

What about burkhas (or worse) for your daughters do you not understand?

These people do not wish us well even if we leave Iraq tomorrow.

The gloves better well come off. Otherwise, our civilization, as we know it, it toast. Allah Akbar, dontcha know?

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Ryan Jerz said...

Todd,

I think that they were in a no-win situation. I agree with your assessment of perception vs. reality. But let's say he had stepped down. Add to that Rove saying that the GOP would be fine. If election results had been the same, Rumsfeld would have been the goat still. I'm not sure it would have mattered. Like I said, they were in a no-win, so they gambled and lost.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Ryan Jerz said...

I should also add that I predicted both houses would be held. I did that because I thought the individual districts would stay a bit more conservative than a huge wave of change. I also thought Rove really was correct. I'm not too good at predicting things.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Todd Zuccato said...

Ryan,
There is no way to know if Rummy could have made a difference. What upsets me is the administration should have recognized sooner that they needed a scape goat. That's just politics. When the masses are not happy, someone has to pay the price. They should have acted, where instead, they reacted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home